The Animal Care Sanctuary is offering a unique, exciting experience in domestic animal care. This internship provides opportunities to develop skills in a variety of areas involved in animal care, and is ideal for pre-veterinary students or animal science majors looking to expand their skill set. Interns will be given the opportunity to work with over 400 cats and 50 dogs to provide quality care, enrichment, and socialization in a facility designed for optimum animal health and well-being.
- Interns will work with existing staff to provide daily care for cats and dogs residing at the facility, including:
- Cleaning and maintaining cages and kennels
- Diet preparation and delivery
- Interns will work with our experienced on-site veterinary team to handle, diagnose, and medicate animals. Due to the large number of animals residing at ACS, interns will likely gain exposure to and experience with a number of medical conditions and diseases, as well as assisting with spay/neuter surgeries.
- Interns will gain experience working in a quarantine environment as they assist staff with monitoring new animals for communicable diseases before integrating them with resident animals.
- Interns will have the opportunity to join a committee of their choice, where they will work with existing staff to assist the facility in decision-making and policy evaluation. Available committees include:
- Infectious Control
- Performance Improvement
- Emergency Preparedness
- Interns will have the opportunity to assist the facility with regular fundraising efforts and events to raise money to fund our non-profit facility. Past events have included motorcycle rides and wine-tasting events, but interns are encouraged to bring new ideas to the table.
- Interns will be required to work with and reside with a dog that requires a behavior modification training program. They will provide documentation and meet weekly with the site behaviorist.
- Candidates must be pursuing or have recently received a degree in pre-veterinary science, animal science, biology, or a related field (Veterinary students also welcome)
- Teamwork and communication skills are essential to success in this program
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and perform physical duties such as bending, stooping, and kneeling
- Ability to work on your feet for several hours at a time
- Knowledge of and/or experience with operant and classical conditioning preferred
- Must possess a personal vehicle and valid driver’s license
This internship is 40 hrs/week, and interns may be required to work weekends as assigned. Interns will receive a bi-weekly stipend of $200, and housing is provided on-site. For more information, please contact Rachel Rossiter at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can be downloaded on our website www.animalcaresanctuary.org.
12 week Spring Program-February through April Application Deadline: January 1st
12 week Summer Program- May through August Application Deadline: March 1st Summer Session 2015 Closed
12 week Fall Program- September through November Application Deadline: July 1st
12 week Winter Program-December through February Application Deadline: November 1st
4 week internships available throughout the year Application Deadline: Revolving